Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Looking Ahead

So it's that time of year when everyone starts thinking about what they'd like to accomplish throughout the upcoming year. We call these lovely things "resolutions." Sadly, many of us break them within the first few months (if not weeks!). [Side note: You should have seen the gym when I drove past it this morning. Packed to the max!] In years past, I've sat down and actually formulated a list of resolutions. However, I don't think I've ever kept any of them. Sometimes, I set myself up for failure: "I will do _____ everyday." Yeah, I should have known better than to use an absolute. I think that this year, I will just focus on a few goals toward self-improvement. Maybe these could be a little more attainable:
  1. Be thoughtful. Don't you love getting mail? And no, I'm not talking about all of those Chase credit card offers. And I'm not talking about email, either. I mean good, old-fashioned snail-mail. I have a friend who is always so good about sending out cards for birthdays and anniversaries. I want to be like that. I want to brighten someone's day with a little note to let them know I'm thinking about them.
  2. Be charitable. Clint and I have always said that we want our girls to realize how lucky and blessed they are. One way we want to do this is to get them involved in volunteering. Unfortunately, I haven't been doing a good job of this myself. I know, I know: lead by example. Well, that's what I hope to do. I want to make an effort to help more of those in need, whether it be through the Children's Hospital or the local animal shelter.
  3. Be hospitable. I've always let the fact that my house doesn't look like it came straight out of the Pottery Barn catalog keep me from entertaining. Well, I'm tired of making excuses. We had some of my family over for New Years Eve, and you know what? We had the best time! I want to start inviting more people into my home. Who cares that there are toys all over the floor? It's called life, people!
  4. Be healthy. No, I'm not going to resolve to lose 15 pounds. Nor am I going to commit myself to working out x amount of days. This goal is more about taking better care of myself. Yes, that does mean that I need to exercise more and make healthier food choices, but it also means that I take time to meditate, do a better job of taking care of my skin, and even floss more often! (I hate flossing, by the way.)
  5. Be spiritual. This one is the most important one to me. I do attend church when the doors are open, but sometimes I think I'm just a warm body occupying a space on the pew. I want to get more involved, not only in church activities, but in God's word. I want to read it more and ultimately apply it more to my life. I want to be Christ-focused. I want people to see Him reflected in me.



No comments:

Post a Comment