Seriously, I blubbered like a baby. In front of the entire student body. Fortunately, I don't think they all saw me. Some, but not all.
See, today kicked off the MHS/HHS spirit week rivalry. Each school chooses charities, and the week is devoted to raising as much money as possible, ending with a basketball game where the totals are revealed. The two charities we (MHS) have chosen this year are the Children's Cancer Center and A Child's Haven, and they really pull at my heart strings. During our pep rally today, they had children from each organization present. The kids from A Child's Haven did a song and dance for us (and they were seriously about 4 years old). Two little girls who are currently patients at the Cancer Center were also present. One little girl, named Miriam, made the hearts of everyone in that entire gymnasium melt. After high-fiving the student council members, she proceed to give a performance of Tim McGraw's "1 2 3 Like a Bird I Sing..". She had everyone clapping and cheering, while I stood in the corner with tears streaming down my face.
Even though at times it seems like the focus is not so much on the charities and more on the rivalry between the two schools, I'm glad we have the opportunity to help out these two organizations. After seeing those children today, I realize how much good the money will do. It truly is a blessing to give back. And I'm so extremely proud of our student council. You can really tell how hard they've worked and how much this week means to them. Come Friday the 13th, I hope we come out victorious, not just for our students, but for the children who truly need this money.
If you would like to find out more information or donate, please visit www.spiritweek.org.
GO MAVS!
yes... Miriam will made you cry every time. We're featuring her at our Walmart Appreciation day...
ReplyDeleteand here comes the editorial nerd. Its Bilo's Charities Children's Cancer Center... sorry.
and GO MAVS!